Monday, July 13, 2009

Welcome to The Blog of the Flying Taco

Well, there's the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, so why not the Blog of the Flying Taco?

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to read this, even though most of us experience serious information overload quite frequently. I live just outside of Boston and have extensive interest in the investment management and financial services industry. I may about the markets and investing/trading (disclaimer: I'm not a registered investment adviser, nor do I play one on TV, so no recommendations here; more like observations and insight). But it doesn't end there, by any means!

Brewing & beer
I am a nascent homebrewer (Flying Taco is the working name of my brewing exploits...Flying Taco Brewventures, to be exact). Some, including my Beautiful Bride, may call me a beer obsessive, as I enjoy trying beer from all over the world and of many different styles - so I'll definitely write about beer quite a bit.

More "consumables"
Food, wine...that too! Really anything in the "gastronomic arts" is on the table. I enjoy cooking even though I'm an absolute manic and stressed slob in the kitchen. Really the only thing I haven't managed to splatter all across our kitchen is homemade ice cream. Thankfully our CuisinArt ice cream maker has a very deep bowl to save us all from that indignity.

Sports
I enjoy the hell out of sports. As far as spectator sports go, baseball, hockey (my favorite live sport to watch)...football and basketball, too...and NASCAR. Hey, I even catch rugby on Setanta every once in a while, though not often enough. I don't just sit on the couch and watch 'em on TV, though, I participate too. I bike frequently and enjoyed playing soccer until I left my ACL on the field last June, but hopefully I'll start that up again in limited duty soon. Racquetball is something I must get back into very soon. Baseball, softball, too. I'm a fan of just about all of the Boston pro teams (first and foremost the Red Sox and Bruins). As a former Buffalo resident I continue to suffer alongside the Bills and Sabres, too, and still have solid Chicago ties to the Cubs, da Bearsz and the Hawks. Especially the Cubs, despite what a mess they are.

Music
One of the most useful gifts I ever received was my first iPod from my Beautiful Bride. Wouldn't have bought one on my own, but now I'm lost without it. Once I loaded it up I realized that I had collected a whole lot of music that was all over the place. From my Buffalo days I had a lot of Canadian indie stuff from listening to CFNY 102.1/The Edge in Toronto. Nine Inch Nails, Grateful Dead, southern fried, jazz, classical (Mom's influence as a professional flutist (flautist?) with a couple of Russian ballet companies in the 1960s when she lived in the City), new wave, techno, even some country in there. I've lately been on a big Canadian indie kick; we've caught quite a few Ron Hawkins (formerly with The Lowest of the Low) gigs lately with more coming soon. Also, our son is 5 and he's turning into a Deadhead. His favorite Dead tune is "Sugaree." It's amazing what XM 57 (Sirius 32) in the car has done for child development, apparently.

Many thanks to y'all for stopping by, and enjoy!

Thanks again,

Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment